The Sisters of Jesus and Mary purchased the Manor House of Thornton in 1917 and formed a school for girls – Thornton College, Convent of Jesus and Mary.
In the beginning the School educated a small number of girls, predominantly daughters from the landed gentry, and most were boarders.
The Sisters were responsible for all aspects of care - everything from teaching to looking after the boarders. As the number of Sisters declined, the number of lay staff (staff who are not part of a Religious Order) has increased and now only a few of the Sisters are actively involved in teaching the girls.
The School has expanded significantly over the past 90 years. Every decade has seen a major building development. Most recently three major projects have been completed. The St. Clare Wing housing new Prep and Specialist Science Laboratories, new Prep School classrooms and an ICT suite opened in March 2010, a Creative and Performing Arts Facility was opened in 2008 and The Thévenet Wing housing the Pre-Prep was completed in 2002.
Visit the Thornton pages from the Milton Keynes heritage website for more information about the history of Thornton, formerly Thornton Hall, and pictures of school life over the past 90 years.