If you are thinking about sending your daughter to a specialist, high quality boarding school for girls in the UK, Thornton College is the perfect choice... close to London (and the London airports), but in a beautiful, safe, secure English country estate.
Thornton offers a warm and friendly setting, a moral, ethical foundation and academic success. Our school offers specialist girls boarding, we take great care to make sure your daughter settles in and feels at home here and we are proud of our boarding community with a wonderful balance between national and international pupils, bringing a rich diversity and varied experience.
Find out what the pupils think! Visit our YouTube channel to hear girls from Spain and Mexico talking about their own experiences.
Since the Sisters of Jesus and Mary founded the school in 1917 we have been welcoming pupils from all over the world. Whether a boarding girl speaks English as a first language, or not, our staff make sure that all the international boarding students at the school fit in and integrate with the girls from the UK.
Primary and Secondary School Boarding For International Students
Most pupils from overseas join us for the duration of their Senior School education to 16 years old. Some choose to join us in Year 5 or 6 to improve their English before they move up into the Senior School.
We also welcome girls for one year study periods, from September to July. All our international pupils follow a full academic curriculum which allows them to complete studies that will be recognised in their own country (if required).
Girls Boarding School For English Language
International boarders may also study English as a Foreign Language, if necessary. They are taught in small intimate groups, and encouraged to speak English at all times. At the end of the course they are entered for one of the Cambridge Examinations in English as a Foreign Language.
Appointing A Guardian For Your Daughter At Boarding School:
- All international students boarding with us need to appoint a guardian for the duration of their time at Thornton College.
- The guardian is a person who will act 'in loco parentis' and they must be based in the UK.
- Girls may spend weekends with their guardian and often half term holidays.
- Boarders will usually return home for the longer holidays at Christmas, Easter and Summer.
- Although we cannot recommend a guardian agency, we can supply you with the addresses of guardian agencies which some of our parents use.